Purchasing the right furnace filter for your home’s HVAC system can be daunting. Whether you are buying a disposable fiberglass, pleated, electrostatic, or HEPA filter, there are several factors to consider to choose one that best suits your needs.
To make this process easier, here is a list of questions you should ask when buying a furnace filter for your home. Knowing what type of filter to purchase and how often it needs changing will help ensure cleaner air quality in your home and improved efficiency of your furnace system.
- What type of 16x25x4 furnace filter should I buy? There are several types of furnace filters on the market, including disposable fiberglass, pleated, electrostatic, and HEPA filters. Consider the efficiency rating of each class to determine which will best suit your needs.
- How often should I change my furnace filter? Depending on your chosen filter type, it is essential to check and replace your filter regularly. Some filters need changing every 3 months, while others may last up to a year or more before needing replacement.
- What size furnace filter do I need? Make sure to measure the dimensions of your current filter to purchase the correct size for your home’s system. Check the manufacturer’s instructions or look up the size online.
- Is it necessary to purchase a filter with an airflow rating? Most furnace filters have what is called a MERV rating which stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. This number indicates how well the filter will trap particles in the air, such as dust, pollen, and other allergens. The higher the MERV rating, the better your filter’s efficiency.
- What type of material should I choose? Different filters are made from other materials depending on their purposes, such as fiberglass, pleated paper, electrostatic cotton/polyester blend, and HEPA media filters. Choose one that best suits your needs based on the filtration required.
- Are there any special considerations? If you have pets in the home, it is essential to buy a filter that can trap pet dander and other allergens. Consider filters with a carbon core if you need superior odor control.
- What should I do if I need to decide which type of filter to purchase? You can always consult an HVAC professional specializing in furnace filters to help you choose the right one for your needs. An experienced technician can also advise on installing and maintaining your new filter system.
- How will my air quality improve after changing my furnace filter? Depending on the type of filter chosen and its ability to capture particles in the air, you should notice a significant improvement in the air quality inside your home. This, in turn, can lead to fewer allergies and respiratory problems.
- Can I save money by purchasing my furnace filter online? Yes! Buying furnace filters online can help you save time and money as prices tend to be lower than what one would find in stores. Always make sure to purchase from a reputable vendor to ensure that you receive the best product for your money.
- What else do I need to know about furnace filters? It is important to note that some filters are designed specifically for certain brands or models of furnaces, so always double-check before making your purchase. Additionally, replacing all filters every three months or more frequently if you have pets or allergies is recommended. This will help keep your air clean and healthy.
Hope this helps! Good luck!