Local

Vibrosis bacterial infection suspected after man gets severely ill after eating Massachusetts oysters

A Kentucky family’s trip to Massachusetts takes an unexpected turn when one member becomes ill after eating oysters. Amanda Thurman said she and her husband Chris traveled to Boston in early July with family to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. Thurman said the family was looking forward to New England seafood after trying it for the first time a few months ago. “We got them for the first time this summer,” Thurman said. Thurman said her husband Chris is looking forward to trying them in Boston. A week later, things took an unexpected turn. “On the morning of the 6th, which was actually our anniversary, Chris woke up very, very sick,” Thurman said. She said that her husband’s stomach was swollen and swollen. He was rushed by ambulance to a medical center in Boston, where doctors said that Chris had come down with a highly contagious virus called Vibrio. super rare,” said Thurman. “Vibrio itself is very common, but this strain is very rare. in type of type of type of type of type of type of type of type of type of type of type of type ‘i type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type “The doctors removed part of Chris’s intestine. and they put him on a ventilator. Thurman said Chris has endured nine surgeries. I think he’s going to make it,” Thurman said. “Today is what they say is a miracle.” “They were able to get him out and he immediately started talking and looking for us, so today was a good day,” Thurman said. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vibriosis causes about 80,000 infections and 100 deaths in the United States each year. People with vibriosis become infected by eating raw or undercooked food or by exposing the wound to seawater. The CDC says most infections occur from May to October when temperatures are warm. The family said they all ate oysters at three different restaurants. They said the health department is working to find out where the disease may have come from. The family hopes to bring Chris home to Kentucky next month. Watch the video above for the full story.

A Kentucky family’s trip to Massachusetts takes an unexpected turn when one member becomes ill after eating oysters.

Amanda Thurman said she and her husband Chris traveled to Boston in early July with family to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary.

Thurman said the family was looking forward to New England seafood after trying it for the first time a few months ago.

“We got them for the first time in the spring,” Thurman said.

Thurman said her husband Chris was eager to try them in Boston.

“He was like, ‘I can’t wait to get some good oysters,'” Thurman said.

Less than a week into the trip, things took an unexpected turn.

“On the morning of the 6th, which was actually our anniversary, Chris woke up very, very sick,” Thurman said.

She said that her husband’s stomach was swollen and swollen.

He was rushed by ambulance to a medical center in Boston, where doctors said that Chris had come down with a highly infectious disease called Vibrio.

Although doctors cannot prove it, they believe that it may have come from those oysters.

“They said it was great, rare,” Thurman said. “Vibrio itself is common, but this strain they don’t see makes everyone sick.”

Doctors removed part of Chris’ intestine and put him on a ventilator.

Thurman said Chris endured nine surgeries.

“Twice, they didn’t think he would do it,” Thurman said. “Today is what they say is a miracle.”

“They were able to stretch him out and he immediately started talking and looking for us, so he was fine today,” Thurman said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vibriosis causes about 80,000 infections and 100 deaths in the United States each year. People with vibriosis become infected by eating raw or undercooked food or by being exposed to seawater.

The CDC says most infections occur from May to October when temperatures are hottest.

The family said they all ate oysters at three different restaurants. They said the Ministry of Health is trying to find out where the disease originated.

The family hopes to bring Chris home to Kentucky next month.

Watch the video above for the full story.

Vibrosis bacterial infection suspected after man gets severely ill after eating Massachusetts oysters Source link Vibrosis bacterial infection suspected after man gets severely ill after eating Massachusetts oysters

Related Articles

Back to top button