Local

Two Plead Guilty to Racketeering Scam Targeting San Diego Grandparents

Federal Court in downtown San Diego. Photo by Chris Stone

Two men accused of a national blackmail program targeting the elderly, which took more than $ 300,000 from 10 San Diego County residents, have pleaded guilty to federal charges. U.S. Attorney’s Office he said on Wednesday.

Last week, Paramount’s 25-year-old Jack Owuor and 29-year-old Timothy Ingram from North Hollywood admitted their roles in a project that received more than $ 2 million from more than 70 seniors across the country. Six others remain in custody in the case, including two who are at large.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the defendants telephoned senior citizens and falsely claimed that their grandchildren had legal problems and needed money to resolve fabricated issues such as bail, medical expenses, or to prevent further criminal prosecution. .

Prosecutors say Ingram admitted to recruiting people to collect money from the victims, while Owor himself made cash receipts on Ingram’s instructions and also recruited others to collect payments. Officials say the defendants then laundered the money they received either by transferring funds or by converting the money into cryptocurrencies.

U.S. Attorney Randy Grossman said those involved in the plot “took advantage of the sacred bond between grandfather and grandson and left many victims with financial and emotional trauma.”

The City News Service contributed to this article.

Show comments



Two Plead Guilty to Racketeering Scam Targeting San Diego Grandparents Source link Two Plead Guilty to Racketeering Scam Targeting San Diego Grandparents

Related Articles

Back to top button