Local

Southern California cities, nonprofits receive millions for gun-violence prevention, Newsom announces – Daily Bulletin

Cities and nonprofits across Southern California will receive millions of dollars combined from California to implement gun violence prevention programs, part of the $ 156 million in nationwide grants that Gavin Newsom Governor announced Thursday, on June 9th.

The money, which Newsom announced just two weeks after the tragic school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, will come from the California State Board and Community Corrections.

San Bernardino, Long Beach, Hemet, Pasadena and Pomona are on the list 79 cities and non-profit organizations who will receive money from the final round of the California Violence Intervention and Prevention Grant Program.

Grants will go to cities and organizations across the southern country, including the Inner Empire, and Los Angeles and Orange counties.

CalVIP, which in 2017 replaced the former Gang Reduction, Intervention and Prevention Grant program in California, aims to provide funding for cities and community organizations in areas disproportionately affected by violence.

Applicants submitted grant proposals in November for the fourth pricing cycle and the funds will be distributed starting next month and will run until December 31, 2023.

The state will reopen applications for prevention proposals on Friday, June 10, to provide the remaining $ 53 million in the CalVIP grant fund. Proposals must be submitted by 5:00 pm on Friday, July 15th.

“The CalVIP program has been excellent for enhancing police work and having a practical approach to intervening with gang and gang violence,” San Bernardino City spokesman Jeff Kraus said Thursday.

San Bernardino will receive $ 3.8 million for an ongoing program designed to break the cycle of community-wide violence in the city and improve outcomes for young people at risk of violence. The program uses street communication, informed trauma and cultural interventions, and other tools to do so.

CalVIP gave the city $ 500,000 during the initial grant period and another $ 1.5 million the second time, said David Miranda, San Bernardino program director.

This money has helped fund the city’s intervention program for the past three years.

The San Bernardino grant, Kraus said, “will allow us to expand the program (violence intervention) and pay (program leaders) more for the next three years.”

Newsom announced the grants as the country faces the aftermath of several recent high-profile mass shootings, which have renewed talks about gun regulations and the role of firearms in America.

Last month, an 18-year-old gunman shot dead 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Uvalde.

Nine days ago, a a gunman killed one and wounded five others during a Taiwanese lunch at a church in Laguna Woods.

And the day before, 10 people of color were killed during a shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York – an attack that police called a hate crime.

The shooting once again catalyzed efforts to establish stricter gun control measures.

The annual March for Our Lives, which advocates the biggest gun and firearms safety rules, will take place in more than 300 cities across the country on Saturday, June 11th.

Any federal action on gun control proposals is unlikely, however, with Republican members of Congress strongly opposing regulations they say would undermine the Second Amendment guarantee of the right to bear arms.

California also saw the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals overturn one of its gun regulations recently.

“While blockade and division block progress on the national stage,” Newsom said in a statement Thursday. “California is leading the way with common gun safety laws and life-saving prevention programs like CalVIP.”

This latest round of state grants will see Long Beach receive $ 3.9 million for a citywide safe community program focused on 13 neighborhoods in the northern and central parts of the coastal metropolis that have been disproportionately affected by violence. with gun.

The program will expand the city protocol for responding to gun violence, increase intervention / peacekeeping engagement, and provide support services and economic opportunities for youth and families affected by gun violence.

Pasadena will receive $ 2.5 million for a program that aims to break the cycle of youth gangs and gun violence by identifying at-risk and high-risk youth.

The state will give Pomona even more money – $ 5.1 million. This money will go to setting up an Office for Violence Prevention and Neighborhood Welfare.

This office will serve residents who are at highest risk of becoming involved in violent crime and those most directly affected by violent crime. He will do this through street communication, community stakeholder engagement, cognitive behavioral therapy, diversion, work resources, intensive case management, mental health services, and mentoring.

Hemet will receive $ 964,000 to develop a “Broad Community Collaboration” to better understand the dynamics of community violence. That program will also work on breaking the cycle of violence and providing ongoing life training.

The Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County and Inland Empire, meanwhile, are among the organizations receiving grants, such as Centinela Youth Services in Inglewood, Homeboy Industries and the Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade, and Black United Fund, Inc.

Ari Freilich, director of state policy at the Giffords Law Center for the Prevention of Gun Violence, promoted the grants in a statement.

“Dozens of programs across the state will soon be able to expand their work to reach and heal more survivors,” Freilich said, “to stop more revenge, to train the next generation of intervention professionals in violence and to keep more families full, safe and free from violence. ”

California was ranked as the top state in the country for gun safety last year, according to the Giffords Legal Center.

The death rate from state guns is 37% lower than the national average and Californians are 25% less likely to die from mass shootings compared to residents of other states.

“We are doubling these successful measures – tested and validated in California every day – as part of a comprehensive approach to making our communities safer,” Newsom said, “ending the tragic cycle.” “The game of violence. outside in schools, churches, workplaces and public spaces across the country.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Southern California cities, nonprofits receive millions for gun-violence prevention, Newsom announces – Daily Bulletin Source link Southern California cities, nonprofits receive millions for gun-violence prevention, Newsom announces – Daily Bulletin

Related Articles

Back to top button