Local

Simone Biles, other ex-gymnasts seek $1B from FBI over Larry Nassar

Olympic gold medalist Simon Bales and dozens of other women who say they were sexually assaulted by Larry Nassar are seeking more than $ 1 billion from the FBI for failing to stop the sports doctor when the service first charged him, his lawyer said. Wednesday. Video above: Aly Raisman says in the Capitol in 2021 “I disgust” the gymnasts are still looking for answers to the abuse scandal. , leaving him free to continue targeting young women and girls for more than a year. He pleaded guilty in 2017 and is serving decades in prison. Under federal law, a government agency has six months to respond to torts filed Wednesday. The FBI’s response could be to sue. The 90 or so plaintiffs include Biles, Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney, all gold medalists, according to Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, a California-based law firm. “If the FBI had just done its job, Nassar would have stopped before he had the opportunity to mistreat hundreds of girls, including me,” said Samantha Roy, a former University of Michigan gymnast. An email was sent to the FBI asking for comment. Indianapolis-based USA Gymnastics told local FBI agents in 2015 that three athletes said they had been attacked by Nassar, the team’s doctor. However, the FBI did not open a formal investigation or inform the federal or state authorities in Michigan, according to the Inspector General of the Department of Justice, an internal guard. FBI agents in Los Angeles in 2016 launched a sex tourism investigation against Nassar and interviewed many victims, but also “Let the Michigan authorities be notified,” said the inspector general. Nassar was arrested until the fall of 2016 during a search by police at Michigan State University. He was a doctor in Michigan State. Video below: Simone Biles at the Capitol in 2021 Last year, FBI Director Christopher Wray acknowledged the big mistakes. “I’m very sorry that there were people in the FBI who had their chance to stop this monster in 2015 and they failed. “And that is unforgivable,” Ray told the victims at a Senate hearing. Maroney recalled the “dead silence” when she spoke to FBI agents about Nassar. The Justice Department said in May that it would not prosecute former agents accused of giving inaccurate or incomplete answers during the inspector general’s investigation. who was also accused of missing opportunities for many years to stop Nassar, agreed to pay $ 500 million to more than 300 women and girls attacked by Nassar. USA Gymnastics and the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee have settled a $ 380 million settlement.

Olympic gold medalist Simon Bales and dozens of other women who say they were sexually assaulted by Larry Nassar are seeking more than $ 1 billion from the FBI for failing to stop the sports doctor when the service first charged him, his lawyer said. Wednesday.

Video above: Aly Raisman says in the Capitol in 2021 “I disgust” the gymnasts are still looking for answers to the abuse scandal

There is no doubt that FBI agents in 2015 knew that prisoner Nassar was now accused of assaulting trainers, but failed to act, leaving him free to continue targeting young women and girls for more than a year. He pleaded guilty in 2017 and is serving decades in prison.

“It’s time for the FBI to be held accountable,” said Maggie Nichols, Oklahoma National Gymnastics Champion 2017-19.

Under federal law, a government agency has six months to respond to torts filed Wednesday. Lawsuits could follow, depending on the FBI’s response.

The approximately 90 plaintiffs include Biles, Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney, all gold medalists, according to Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, a California-based law firm.

“If the FBI had just done its job, Nassar would have stopped before he had the opportunity to abuse hundreds of girls, including me,” said Samantha Roy, a former University of Michigan gymnast.

An email requesting feedback has been sent to the FBI.

Indianapolis-based USA Gymnastics told local FBI agents in 2015 that three athletes said they had been attacked by Nassar, the team’s doctor. However, the FBI did not open a formal investigation or inform the federal or state authorities in Michigan, according to the Inspector General of the Department of Justice, an internal guard.

FBI agents in Los Angeles in 2016 launched a sex tourism investigation against Nassar and interviewed several victims, but also did not notify the Michigan authorities, the inspector general said.

Nassar was arrested until the fall of 2016 during a search by police at Michigan State University. He was a doctor in Michigan.

Video below: Simone Biles at the Capitol in 2021

The Michigan Attorney General’s Office eventually handled the allegations of assault against Nassar, while federal prosecutors in Grand Rapids, Michigan, filed a child pornography case.

In remarks to Congress last year, FBI Director Christopher Ray acknowledged major mistakes.

“I’m very sorry that there were people in the FBI who had their chance to stop this monster in 2015 and they failed. “And that is unforgivable,” Ray told the Senate hearing.

At the same hearing, Biles, widely regarded as the best trainer of all time, said an “entire system” allowed abuse. Maroney recalled the “dead silence” when she spoke to FBI agents about Nassar.

The Justice Department said in May that it would not prosecute former agents accused of giving inaccurate or incomplete answers during the inspector general’s investigation.

The University of Michigan, which has also been accused of missing opportunities for many years to stop Nassar, has agreed to pay $ 500 million to more than 300 women and girls attacked by Nassar. USA Gymnastics and the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee have settled a $ 380 million settlement.

Simone Biles, other ex-gymnasts seek $1B from FBI over Larry Nassar Source link Simone Biles, other ex-gymnasts seek $1B from FBI over Larry Nassar

Related Articles

Back to top button