Local

San Bernardino sets date to begin clearing Oxbow site of broken concrete – San Bernardino Sun

Ontario-based contractors will begin cleaning the Oxbo site in northern San Bernardino on Monday, April 12, after a majority of the city council has agreed to withdraw. $ 2 million from reserve Remove a huge pile of broken concrete from the property.

Cemex Corp. expects to complete the reduction within 50 business days.

Council members Sandra Ibara, Ben Reynoso, Kimberly Calvin and Damon Alexander approved the move on Wednesday, April 7.

Councilors Theodore Sanchez, Juan Figueroa and Fred Cholet objected.

“I’m the organizer of environmental justice,” said Reynoso, who includes an oxbo site in District 5, prior to voting. “Obviously no one wants to spend $ 2 million. Nobody here wants to spend $ 2 million. But you’re talking about people’s health.”

Reynoso said he has a video that “literally stains” people’s homes.

“Maybe I care more about this than you do,” he added. These are our people. … We are here now, and people want to get rid of (mountains). “

According to city officials, an estimated 2,800 trucks will be needed to clean up the property.

Sanchez claimed that this was a thousands of diesel trucks that moved up and down Palm Avenue and ejected carcinogens into the air. “If we’re talking about poisoning the air and making people sick, this is the way to do it,” the councilor added.

Sanchez argued that such pollution was far more dangerous to the health of the population of Birdimont than to have the developers of the housing complex planned for Irvine-based Oxbosite crush the material there. ..

But last year Public protest Beyond a pile of broken concrete, a city leader Approve the resolution Prohibits developers from crushing untreated material in residential areas.

Sanchez, who voted against the October resolution on Wednesday, sought to bring the rules back to the city council to consider exceptions to the Pacific Coast International Group.

However, his proposal was not well received.

“There is an option to unplannedly implement the idea that when crushed in the field, somehow people bleed from their ears and cause cancer in everyone,” says Sanchez. On top of that, (removing concrete) is very expensive. “

In addition to hesitating about the cost of concrete removal and logistics, Sanchez and Cholet were concerned that a legal battle with real estate owners could be expected over a parliamentary decision.

Sanchez argued that there was a “serious mistake” when he approved $ 2 million to clear the site instead of crushing the material.

Reynoso disagreed.

“It has to move. It has to move,” he said. “We are beyond the meaning of price tags. We are talking about people’s lives.”

San Bernardino sets date to begin clearing Oxbow site of broken concrete – San Bernardino Sun Source link San Bernardino sets date to begin clearing Oxbow site of broken concrete – San Bernardino Sun

Related Articles

Back to top button