Police fire tear gas at protesters in a second night of demonstrations after Minnesota officer fatally shoots Black man

Police fired tear gas and stunned grenades as crowds gathered to protest Monday night. Black murder By police officers on the outskirts of Minneapolis.

Protesters said they had “fired bottles, fireworks, bricks and other projectiles at public security authorities.” Tweets from Operation Safety Net (OSN) is a joint effort by a local organization to ensure public safety during the Derek Chauvin trial, held approximately 10 miles from the Brooklyn Center, Minnesota location.

It was the second night of the protest after 20-year-old Daunte Wright was killed by police officers identified by authorities as Officer Kim Potter during regular traffic outages. According to the Minnesota Operation Safety Net, a curfew came into effect at the Brooklyn Center, and police arrested violators who ignored the dissolution order.

By 11:00 pm, most protesters had left the scene around the police station, according to witnesses.

However, according to a video taken by CNN’s crew, the window of the Dollar Tree store near the scene of the protest was broken and smoke was seen.

“Firefighters are heading to the Brooklyn Center’s Dollar Tree. Let the fire trucks pass. Minnesota Operation Safety Net tweeted, giving firefighters room to work away from the area,” he said.

According to witnesses, many people were taking pictures and videos of the aftermath in front of the store.

Graffiti such as the initials “DW” and “no justice or peace” were also sprayed on the building.

The mayor of the Brooklyn Center said CNN’s Don Lemon He realized that people were angry, but he called on protesters to go home.

Mayor Mike Elliott said the regional headquarters was in charge of law enforcement activities rather than him.

“The goal now is to disperse the crowd and get people home,” he said.

Death of Daunte Wright

At the beginning of Monday, police provided an explanation of the police officer’s actions in attempting to detain Daunte Wright on Sunday, and a 20-year-old police officer fired a deadly shot.

The police officer who killed Wright was identified as police officer Kim Potter on Monday night, according to a news release from the Minnesota Criminal Arrest Office (BCA).

According to the BCA, Potter has been with the Brooklyn Center police station for 26 years.

The town’s police chief, Tim Gannon, said his video release was for transparency and the BCA did not allow the video to be released in an ongoing investigation.

Ganon believes that some of the worn-out camera footage released on Monday was accidental shooting and that the actions of police officers before the shooting were consistent with training in the Taser department. He said he let him.

“When I watched the video and heard the policeman’s orders, the policeman intended to deploy a taser, but I believe he shot Mr. Wright in one shot instead,” Ganon said. “From what I saw and the reaction and pain of the police officers shortly thereafter, it seems to me that this was the outburst that resulted in Mr. Wright’s tragic death.”

The video shows three police officers at a transportation stop, but the only video released was a one-minute clip from a police officer who fired her weapon.

Ganon said she was on leave.

“The community felt they needed to know what happened. They needed to see it. I needed to be transparent. And I want to be frank,” says Ganon. It was.

Although not always necessary, it is common for police agencies to hand over gun investigations to external agencies to avoid the emergence of conflicts of interest.

Mr. Ganon said he would ask the BCA to investigate and present the findings to authorities and lawyers “regardless of me” to consider the case.

A U.S. Department of Justice spokesperson said shooting was a local issue and the Department of Justice was not involved in the investigation. The district attorney in Hennepin County said he had sent the case to another county to avoid a “conflict of interest.”

Live update

Ben Crump, a lawyer for Wright’s family, called the shooting “fully preventable” and “inhuman.”

“Now we need to mourn the loss of this young man and father, as Minneapolis and other nations continue to deal with the tragic killing of George Floyd,” he said.

President Joe Biden called for “peace and tranquility” as Minneapolis and St. Paul’s authorities declared an emergency and a curfew prior to expected anxiety. The county of Hennepin, including the Brooklyn Center, was under a curfew that many protesters ignored.

Encounter details

Police said Wright drove to his brother’s house with his girlfriend on Sunday afternoon and police pulled him in the suburbs of Minneapolis in search of an expired tag. Police officers learned that he had a good warrant and tried to handcuff him while he was standing outside the car.

Wright’s brother, Damik Bryant, told CNN that he sent a text message to Wright shortly before shooting to ask him what was taking so long. According to Brian, Wright sent another text saying he was pulled and asked for insurance information. Brian told him to call his mother.

According to Brian, Wright named the officer before calling his mother.

“They asked him to get out of the car, and you know that his first instinct was” what I did, what went wrong. ” And they said, “Well, hang up and get out of the car now. I’ll talk about it when you get off,” Bryant said.

“He said they pulled him because the air freshener was hanging from the rear-view mirror,” Wright’s mother, Katie Wright, told CNN-affiliated WCCO. “I heard a police officer come to the window and say,’Put down the phone and get out of the car,’ and Dawnte said,’Why?’ And he said,’I’ll explain when I get out of the car.’ “I said,” Katie Wright said. CNN Affiliate KARE..

“So I heard the phone put on the dashboard or dropped, and I heard scratches, and I heard police officers say,’Dawnte won’t run.’ And another officer said, “Please hang up,” before it sounded like the phone was hung up, she said.

In the footage of the wearing camera released on Monday, the cop tells the cop “don’t” because the cop twisted away from the cop to get back into the car. Ganon said the video revealed that Wright was about to leave.

The policeman whose camera image was released said, “Taser! Taser! Taser!”

Then the policeman said, “Holy shut! I just shot him.”

The video stopped after a while. Ganon said the shooting was like “the outburst that caused Wright’s tragic death.” He said the actions of the police officer who shot Wright—three times she shouted “taser” to warn a nearby police officer who was about to fire the taser — were in line with their training.

The shooting took place about 10 miles from where former Minneapolis police officer Chauvin was being tried to kill another black man, George Floyd.

Hundreds protested Sunday night

Hundreds of people protested when the news of Wright’s death spread on Sunday night. Ganon told reporters that a police officer had been hit in the head with an item thrown by an opposition. They used frozen cans of pop and broken stone shards.

Minnesota National Guard initially planned to increase the number of members as closing arguments approached at the Chauvin trial. More than 500 members of the guard have been activated, and the guard said he plans to increase the number of members on duty “in response to the nightly event at the Brooklyn Center.”

When anger at Wright’s death rose on Sunday night, aerial footage from KARE showed several police cars around the Brooklyn Center crash site swarmed by crowds before the shootings were known to appear accidental. Shown. The video showed that people are trying to damage a police car.

John Harrington, a member of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS), said about 100 to 200 people marched towards the Brooklyn Center police station.

After dawn, crowds gathered around the police station, a CNN crew member at the scene reported. Officers lined up outside the department, and some were placed on top of the building.

Harrington said there were reports of people throwing rocks and other objects into police buildings. He said there were reports of fire in the area.

According to Harrington, while one group was staying at the police station, the second group was found at Single Creek Mall, where about 20 businesses invaded. According to Harrington, the majority of the police station crowd was later disbanded. According to Ganon, the two were arrested.

Police fire tear gas at protesters in a second night of demonstrations after Minnesota officer fatally shoots Black man Source link Police fire tear gas at protesters in a second night of demonstrations after Minnesota officer fatally shoots Black man

Related Articles

Back to top button