National City approves $300K settlement in Earl McNeil death lawsuit

National City will pay $ 300,000 to the widow and other family members of Earl McNeill to settle a proceeding over death in 2018 after holding his breath and injuring his brain while in police custody.

The city council finalized the settlement on Tuesday and resolved to pass a resolution approving the agreement signed by the plaintiffs, defendants and their lawyers last month. The council approved the settlement amount in a private session more than 16 months ago.

A settlement that is not a liability or conviction on behalf of a city, police chief, police officer, or sheriff’s agent who was a defendant in a federal excessive force proceeding will bring an end. Proceedings against the city of McNeil’s deathSprinkled sparks Almost weekly protest In the summer and autumn of 2018.

Activists and demonstrators rushed to the National City Council’s meeting room during each of the months’ meetings and spoke for hours during public comments to McNeil’s death and officers accusing him of killing McNeil. Asked for an answer about accountability.

Apart from this, McNeil’s family was in the San Diego High Court, Detainee used to subdue McNeil In the morning he fell into a coma, but never recovered. Safe Restraints, Inc. Denies allegations that the product contributed to McNeil’s death.

McNeil, 40, died on June 11, 2018, about two weeks after appearing outside the city’s police headquarters shortly after dawn on May 26. — A warrant was issued because he didn’t appear in court — and he said high, “I want to kill Jesus.”

Activists projected “Justice for Earl McNeill” on October 8, 2019 at the San Diego County Administration Center. Meanwhile, the Citizens Law Enforcement Review Board met in a private session inside the building.

(Alex Riggins / San Diego Union Tribune)

Police officers approaching him first handcuffed him and then knocked him to the ground when McNeil struggled. Then they put him in The WRAP. This is a restraint system that is supposed to quell people while protecting them from harm.

This system wraps a person’s feet in a kind of blanket, secures the lower half, and connects the straps from the chest to the ankles to keep the person upright.

McNeil was in the device for nearly two hours, and law enforcement agencies also put two spitting socks on his head. For more than half of that, he was behind the police car — alone, but regularly monitored by police, officials said. Eventually he was taken to a county prison, where a nurse refused his appointment.

Instead, an ambulance was called to take him to a medical and psychological assessment. Immediately after the ambulance arrived, McNeil held his breath. An ambulance was able to revive him and take him to the hospital, but he never regained consciousness and his family died two weeks later.

The county coroner’s office concluded that he died of brain damage caused by respiratory arrest. The combination of WRAP and spit socks used because McNeil was repeatedly spitting police caused respiratory problems that the coroner said could cause his heart to stop. Autopsy later showed that McNeil had methamphetamine in his system.

In September 2018, district attorney Summer Stephan said that both National City officials and a few San Diego County security officers’ representatives who were in prison when McNeil held his breath could be prosecuted in connection with his death. Announced that there is no. Stefan concluded that McNeil’s death was not a “direct, natural, and likely consequence” of police action. Or an agent for meeting him.

In October 2019, Citizens Law Enforcement Review Board (CLERB) investigators Concluded that the sheriff’s deputy violated department policy When he pulled a T-shirt on McNeil’s face just before he stopped breathing in a downtown prison. CLERB members agreed to the discovery..

March 2019, McNeil’s widow and other family members sued National CityThe police chief and several police officers and agents of the county sheriff accused the police officers of excessive force and did not provide “very necessary” medical care. The proceedings alleged that these and other violations were partially fueled by “unconstitutional policies and practices,” including those governing force and emergency care.

The proceedings also accused National City police leaders of not effectively disciplining police officers who violated the constitutional rights of others and created a culture that allowed such actions.

The family sought unspecified damages in a proceeding filed in the US District Court in Southern California. The city council voted 5-0 in a private session in May 2020 to approve the $ 300,000 settlement, and the parties agreed to the settlement on August 15.

McNeil’s family and the defendant’s lawyer did not respond to phone messages and emails asking for comments on the settlement on Tuesday.

Staffwriters Greg Moran and Lyndsay Winkley contributed to this report.

National City approves $300K settlement in Earl McNeil death lawsuit Source link National City approves $300K settlement in Earl McNeil death lawsuit

Related Articles

Back to top button