Local

Mass shooting Sacramento: 26-year-old man arrested in connection with deadly shooting; Identities released of 6 victims

SACRAMEDO, CA – Sacramento police arrested a man Monday in connection with a shooting that killed six people and injured 12 others in the heart of the California capital as at least two gunmen fired more than 100 shots and killed people. their lives.

Police said they held Dandrae Martin, 26, as a “relative suspect” on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon and that he was a convict holding a loaded gun. Detectives and SWAT team members found a handgun during a search of three homes in the area.

The arrest was made as the six victims were identified in the shooting that took place on Sunday around 2 am as bars closed and patrons filled the streets near the state Capitol.

Sacramento County Medical Examiner has identified the three women killed as 21-year-old Johntaya Alexander. Melinda Davis, 57; and Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21. The three men killed were Sergio Harris, 38. Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; and De’vazia Turner, 29.

VIDEO: Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg discusses “horse” tragedy after mass shootings

The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a crowd gathered outside the Golden One Arena, where the NBA Sacramento Kings observed a minute’s silence for the victims before their fight on Sunday night.

Detectives were trying to determine if a stolen weapon found at the scene was linked to the shooting, said Police Chief Kathy Lester. Witnesses responded to her call for help by providing more than 100 videos and photos of evidence.

“The magnitude of the violence that just happened in our city is unprecedented during my 27 years here,” Lester told reporters. “We are shocked and devastated by this tragedy.”

Martin has not been arrested on any homicide-related charges, said district attorney Anne Marie Schubert.

“The investigation is extremely complex and includes many witnesses, videos of many types and important physical evidence,” Schubert said in a statement. “This is an ongoing investigation and we expect more arrests in this case.”

Martin was held without bail and was scheduled to appear in Sacramento County Supreme Court on Tuesday, according to jail records.

Martin was released from an Arizona jail in 2020 after serving just over 1/2 year for violating the suspension in separate cases involving a felony conviction for aggravated assault in 2016 and a conviction for marijuana in 2018.

He was also wanted on a misdemeanor warrant by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in Southern California.

It was not immediately clear if Martin had a lawyer who could speak on his behalf.

Of the 12 injured, at least four were seriously injured, the Sacramento Fire Department said. At least seven of the victims had been discharged from hospitals by Monday.

At the scene where the chaos broke out, the streets reopened on Monday and the police tape was removed.

On the sidewalks where the video showed victims spinning in pain, monuments began to grow with candles, balloons, flowers and stuffed animals paying tribute to the lives lost. A balloon had a message on it saying in part: “You will be forever in our hearts and minds. Nothing will ever be the same.”

Politicians have denounced the violence, and some Democrats, including President Joe Biden, have called for tougher action against gun violence.

RELATED: Witnesses describe chaos as gunshots are heard in downtown Sacramento

California has some of the toughest gun restrictions in the country, requiring gun and ammunition history checks, limiting cartridges to 10 rounds and banning firearms that fall under its definition of assault weapons.

But state lawmakers plan to go further. A bill first heard Tuesday will allow citizens to sue those who possess illegal weapons, a measure that came after a controversial Texas bill aimed at abortion.

Another proposed law in California this year would make it easier for people to sue gun companies and target unregistered “ghost guns.”

The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a crowded hotel with nightclubs, nightclubs and bars. Police said they were investigating whether the clash was linked to the shooting. A video of witnesses posted on social media showed rapid shots fired for at least 45 seconds as people screamed and ran to cover themselves.

The shootings scared sleeping guests at the Citizen Hotel, which included a wedding party, and fans of rapper Tyler the Creator, who appeared at a concert hours earlier.

From her window on the fourth floor of the hotel, 18-year-old Kelsey Schar said she saw a man running while shooting a gun. He saw flashes from the gun in the dark as people ran to cover.

Schar’s girlfriend, Madalyn Woodward, said she saw a girl who appeared to have been shot in the hand lying on the ground. Security guards from a nearby nightclub rushed to help the girl with something resembling napkins to try to stop the bleeding.

Sunday’s violence was the third time in the United States this year that at least six people have been killed in mass shootings, according to a database compiled by the Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. And it was the second mass shooting in Sacramento in five weeks.

On Feb. 28, a father killed his three daughters, a attendant and himself at a Sacramento church during a weekly surveillance. David Mora, 39, was armed with a makeshift semi-automatic weapon, although he was under a restrictive measure prohibiting him from possessing a firearm.

The crime scene on Sunday spread to two blocks in the city, closing a large part of the city center. The bodies remained on the sidewalk throughout the day as Leicester said investigators worked to work out a “really complex and intricate scene” to make sure investigators gathered all the evidence they could to “see the perpetrators”. of this crime to be brought to justice “.

___

This story has corrected the names of the suspects in Dandrae, not Dandre. and De’vazia, not Devazia.

Copyright © 2022 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.



Mass shooting Sacramento: 26-year-old man arrested in connection with deadly shooting; Identities released of 6 victims Source link Mass shooting Sacramento: 26-year-old man arrested in connection with deadly shooting; Identities released of 6 victims

Related Articles

Back to top button