California

Marines launch fresh investigation into July deaths of nine men in amphibious tank

The Marines launched a new probe on the preparation of their army after their family branded the first probe whitewashed and before participating in a deadly exercise of nine last year.

On July 30, a sailor’s armored tank sank off San Clemente Island, off the southern coast. California Coast-Killed eight Marines and one sailor.

The announcement of the second investigation will occur more than a week after the Maritime Department announces the results of the accident investigation.

The cause of the accident was found to be lack of training, poor maintenance of amphibious vehicles, and poor judgment of the commander.

The new investigation also follows protests from some relatives of military personnel killed in the disaster, who wonder why the general was not responsible for the report.

On July 30, 2020, the vehicle got into the water when 15 Marines and 1 crew member were on board near San Clemente Island in Los Angeles County.Photo: The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit is seen during training on July 27, 2020, three days before the disaster.

Marin'e has about 800 AAVs in stock, can carry up to 21 people, and each weighs 26 tons.

Marin’e has about 800 AAVs in stock, can carry up to 21 people, and each weighs 26 tons.

The training accident, 70 miles (113 km) from the San Diego coast, was one of the most deadly accidents for the Marines in recent years. Leaders said it could have been prevented.

A research report released on March 26 puts the crew of an amphibious attack vehicle in the dark and uses cell phone lights to desperately find an unmarked escape hatch when riding in water. We have elaborated on the many failures and oversights we have tried. There were no safety boats nearby to save them.

Marine Corps officials did not reveal why it triggered the anomalous move to launch additional investigations that began on Friday and could lead to new disciplinary action.

The board of directors, led by Vice Admiral Karl Mandy, will consider the formation, preparation and training of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, and oversight by headquarters.

“The goal is to make sure that the Marine Corps is doing everything possible to prevent the recurrence of this type of accident,” the Marine Corps statement said.

Marines use vehicles to transport troops and their equipment from naval vessels to land. The Amphibious Assault Ship (AAV) returned to the amphibious ship USS Somerset after a day of training training for Marines on San Clemente Island, a Navy-owned facility.

Undersea Rescue Command deployed a Sibitzky Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) from the deck of a commercial vessel HOS Dominator chartered by the Military Sealift Command off Southern California on Monday, August 3, 2020, searching for the body. I will.

On Monday, August 3, 2020, the Underwater Rescue Command deployed a Sibitzky Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) from the deck of a commercial vessel HOS Dominator chartered by the Military Sealift Command off the coast of Southern California to search for the body. I will.

This image is an aerial photograph of the coast near San Clemente Island where the incident occurred.

This image is an aerial photograph of the coast near San Clemente Island where the incident occurred.

Photo: Map showing the location of San Clemente Island off San Diego

Photo: Map showing the location of San Clemente Island off San Diego

Armored vehicles are equipped with machine guns and grenade launchers and look like tanks when Marines land for beach attacks pouring from them to occupy the position.

As a result, three commanders were dismissed, including Colonel Christopher Bronzi, commander of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, and Lieutenant Colonel Michael Legner, who commanded the 4th Marine Corps of the 1st Battalion.

The unit consisted of more than 1,000 units, all of which were reported to Bronji as part of his task force.

The other seven military personnel faced administrative or disciplinary action.

The Marine Corps announced the investigation after notifying all families of those who died.Some of the family said Washington post They wondered why the general was not held accountable.

“Why are these men no longer allowed to manage people’s lives?” Christiana Sweetwood of Danville, Virginia, said last week that her son was among those murdered. He said in an interview with the newspaper.

‘no more. That’s the angry part of what I’m talking about. Are these generals down and are these low-level men responsible? ”

Pfc Brian J. Baltiera, 19 years old, Corona, California

Found on the scene was Corporal Guillermo S. Perez, 20, in New Braunfels, Texas.His body was flown to Dover Base on August 5th

The body of Pfc Brian J. Baltiera (left), 19, in Corona, California, was sent to Delaware on Wednesday. Found on the scene was Corporal Guillermo S. Perez (right), 20 years old, in New Braunfels, Texas.His body was flown to Dover Base on August 5th

Corporal Marco A. Barranco, 21 years old, Corporal Lance, Montebello, California

Pfc Jack Ryan Ostrovsky, Bend, Oregon, 21

Other victims include Corporal Marco A. Barranco of Montebello, California (left), 21 years old, Pfc Jack Ryan Ostrovsky of Bend, Oregon (right), 21 years old.

Pfc Evan A. Bath, 19, from Oak Creek, Wisconsin, died in an accident last month.

Pfc Evan A. Bath, 19, from Oak Creek, Wisconsin, died in an accident last month.

Christopher Gunem, 22, a US Navy Hospital Scorpsman in Stockton, California, was one of the victims. After his death, Gnem was promoted to Petty Officer Third Class and qualified as a Fleet Marine Corps War Specialist.

Christopher Gunem, 22, a US Navy Hospital Scorpsman in Stockton, California, was one of the victims. After his death, Gnem was promoted to Petty Officer Third Class and qualified as a Fleet Marine Corps War Specialist.

Cpl Wesley A. Rodd, Harris, Texas, 23

Corporal Lance Chase D. Sweetwood, Portland, Oregon, 19

Cpl Cesar A. Villanueva, Riverside, California, 21 years old

Other victims include Corporal Lance Chase D. Sweetwood (center) in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, 19 years old, Corporal Wesley A. Rod (left) in Harris, Texas, 23 years old, Corporal Cesar A. Villanueva (right). , 21 years old included.Riverside, California

The news of the survey, released on March 26, raised that more people could be held liable for the disaster.

These include Major Robert Castelvi, a former commander of the 1st Marine Division, who oversaw the training of the Marines in a platoon of amphibious attack vehicles involved in the July 30 incident.

Lieutenant Stephen Ladder, commander of the Marine Corps Pacific Marine Corps, said Castelvi would “take some responsibility” because the Marines involved did not receive the necessary evaluation before being relocated to the 15th MEU. discovered.

This is known as the Marine Corps Combat Preparation Evaluation.

Ladder chose not to discipline Castelvi, who is now an inspector general of the service, saying that the Marines involved had already been transferred under Bronji.

A former commander of the 3rd Combat Amphibious Battalion was also cited in the investigation, but did not name him. The commander said he could not confirm that the Marines involved in the AAV platoon had undergone the necessary preparatory evaluations and that the vehicle was fully functional before being assigned to the 15th MEU.

On August 12, 2020, nine dead male caskets arrived at Dover Base in Delaware and were accepted by the family.

On August 12, 2020, nine dead male caskets arrived at Dover Base in Delaware and were accepted by the family.

Ladder also wrote in his assessment that the coronavirus pandemic was involved in the disaster.

“In my opinion, this distracted personnel from the attention to detail needed to form the MEU,” Ladder wrote.

“But to the extent that such distractions occurred, they should not have prevented the units involved from carrying out their respective missions.”

Last week, a disaster-induced conversation took place between Marine Corps commander General David H. Berger and Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Mike Gildi.

“What we talked about was the fact that there should be no gaps and seams in Navy and Marine operations at the tactical level,” Guildy said in a phone call with reporters. ..

“Therefore, these are combined operations we have been doing for some time, and it makes no sense to have separate requirements on the Marine and Navy sides.”

What was killed in the tragedy:

  • Pfc.Brian J. Baltiera, 18 years old, Corona, California
  • Corporal Lance Marco A in Montebello, California. Barranco, 21 years old
  • Pfc. Evan A in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Bath, 19 years old
  • Christopher Gunem, 22-year-old Naval Health Officer, Stockton, California
  • Pfc.Jack Ryan Ostrovsky, Bend, Oregon, 21
  • Corporal Lance Guillermo S. Perez, 20 years old, New Braunfels, Texas
  • Cpl.Wesley A. Rod, Harris, Texas, 23
  • Corporal Lance Chase D in Portland, Oregon. Sweetwood, 18 years old
  • Cpl. Cesar A in Riverside, California. Villanueva, 21 years old

Seven Marines in the vehicle, including the commander, survived.

File-In this July 31, 2020 file photo, the US flag was hung half-mast at Park Semperfi in San Clemente, California, after a sailor's attack vehicle sank off Southern California.

File-In this July 31, 2020 file photo, the US flag was hung half-mast at Park Semperfi in San Clemente, California, after a sailor’s attack vehicle sank off Southern California.

Marines launch fresh investigation into July deaths of nine men in amphibious tank Source link Marines launch fresh investigation into July deaths of nine men in amphibious tank

Related Articles

Back to top button