Local

Man’s Conviction, Death Sentence Upheld for 9-Year-Old Girl’s Murder

California Supreme Court
The headquarters of the Supreme Court of California in San Francisco is the Building and the Earl Warren Courthouse. Photo: Wiki Commons

The Supreme Court of California Monday upheld the conviction and death sentence of a silent man for abducting, sexually assaulting and killing a 9-year-old girl from Otay Mesa, whose body was discovered in Chula Vista more than three decades ago.

Manuel Bracamontes, now 58, was convicted in September 2005 of murdering Laura Arroyo in June 1991.

The girl – who was found wearing pink pajamas and lingerie – had been stabbed at least 10 times in an attack involving the use of a pickaxe and the bleeding showed that she had been strangled, according to the decision of the state supreme court.

The jurors also found the allegations of a special circumstance for the murder to be true while they participated in kidnapping, obscene act on a child under 14 years of age and an oral meeting.

The same commission recommended the death sentence for Bracamones, who was arrested 12 years after the murder when DNA evidence was re-examined in the light of technological progress.

In its ruling, the California Supreme Court ruled that the evidence surrounding Arroyo’s murder was re-examined in 2003 after the San Diego County Attorney’s Office set up a “cold case unit” and that new slides revealed the presence of semen. by the girl. mouth, neck and nails and that a DNA profile was developed and found to match the DNA obtained from the Bracamontes hair sample.

The biological DNA profile found on the girl’s pajamas also matched the defendant’s reference sample, with the chance of a random match being one in 30 quadrants, Judge Carol A. Corrigan wrote on behalf of the panel.

The girl disappeared on the night of June 19, 1991 and was found dead at around 6:30 p.m. on June 20, 1991, in the parking lot of an industrial complex in Chula Vista, about 3 1/2 miles from her home, according to the decision. .

Bracamontes was arrested in 2003 after being chased on a high-speed highway during which he lost control of his car and crashed, the commission said.

The judges rejected the defense’s claim that the delay in filing the case until 2003 was unjustified and denied him due process and prevented the defense from adequately investigating possible third party fault, along with the claim that the court improperly allowed him to victim by the girl’s third class teacher during the sentencing phase of the trial.

The panel agreed that the court of first instance abused its discretion by ordering the use of leg restraints on Bracamontes during the trial, but found that the defendant had not shown that he was harming his case.

Sentencing the accused to death in December 2005, Supreme Court Justice John Thompson said: “Clearly, the weight of the evidence supports the establishment of the jury.”

Bracamontes, who was allowed to speak in court before the judge sentenced him, remained unrepentant during his sentencing.

“I did not kill this girl,” said Bracamondes. “You guys did not solve anything.”

The accused’s wife and sister also claimed that he was innocent.

But Deputy Attorney General Garland Pint said Bracamones “deserves nothing less than the utmost punishment for what he did to this little girl.”

The victim’s mother, also named Laura Arroyo, said it was extremely difficult to relive the events of 1991 from the beginning and to face the “killer of my little girl” in court.

“I think the jury made a good decision,” the mother said of the death recommendation.

She said her daughter did not deserve to die “in such a cruel way” and urged the judge to impose the death sentence on Bracamontes because he “ruined our lives forever”.

Five witnesses testified that they saw Bracamontes in the girl’s condominium on the night he disappeared. Until a week before her death, he lived in a nearby unit with his then-girlfriend, whom he married while awaiting trial, and their children.

–City News Service, Inc.


Man’s Conviction, Death Sentence Upheld for 9-Year-Old Girl’s Murder Source link Man’s Conviction, Death Sentence Upheld for 9-Year-Old Girl’s Murder

Related Articles

Back to top button