The lawsuit, filed on behalf of San Diego resident Ruth Henrichs, alleged that Chargers owner Dean Spanos “had already made up his mind to move the team to Los Angeles” by 2006, despite a 1997 public statement saying that the group would remain in San. Diego unless the franchise suffered “severe financial difficulties.”
The suit alleged that Spanos later “broke his word” when the move to Los Angeles was announced, despite the fact that the Chargers were worth more than $1 billion as of 2017.
The lawsuit also cited a quote from former NFL official Jim Steeg, who told the San Diego Union-Tribune in a 2021 article that Spanos had already planned the relocation, “It just took him 10 years to do it.”
San Diego Superior Court Judge Carolyn Caietti upheld her preliminary ruling issued Thursday, which said the lawsuit was time-barred and did not sufficiently show that Spanos made false statements.
Caietti said in her ruling that the statements Steeg referred to were “opinions amounting to inadmissible hearsay and cannot be relied upon to support Plaintiff’s claim.”
Further, the judge stated that Henricks’ discovery of the alleged fraud occurred when he read the 2021 article containing Steeg’s statement.
The judge wrote that the statute of limitations on fraud claims is three years, while the article came out more than three years after the group’s move was announced.
– City news service
Judge Boots Suit Accusing Chargers Owner Spanos of Breaking Word by Moving Team to L.A. Source link Judge Boots Suit Accusing Chargers Owner Spanos of Breaking Word by Moving Team to L.A.