Local

Haiti prosecutor seeks to charge PM in killing, is replaced – Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel

In this July 20, 2021 file photo, Haiti’s designated Prime Minister Ariel Henry (center) and interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph (right) appear in front of a portrait of Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise, who was killed in the National Pantheon. Moise’s memorial museum in Port O’Prince, Haiti, posing for a group photo with the authorities. Haiti’s chief prosecutor asked the judge to prosecute Henry for the murder of his predecessor, banning him from leaving the country. (AP Photo / Joseph Odelyn, file)

The new prosecutor swore on Tuesday, just hours after his predecessor asked the judge to prosecute Prime Minister Ariel Henry. President’s murder And a move that could further destabilize the country devastated by the assassination and the turmoil following the recent earthquake to ban him from leaving Haiti.

A request filed by Port-au-Prince prosecutor Bedford Claude, who was fired by Henry, asked the prosecutor to come to the meeting and explain why he spoke twice with the main suspect. Came on the same day as NS Assassination of President Jovenel Moise Only a few hours after the killing.

“There are enough compromises to prosecute Henry and seek his full prosecution,” said Claude, prosecutor Franz Lewis, who oversaw the case, including the deaths of more than 12 children in an orphanage fire. Near Port-au-Prince last year, which I wrote before being replaced by Just.

Henry’s spokesman was not asked to comment.

Related: Haiti and the heavy hands of history

It wasn’t clear if Claude’s dismissal would have any effect on the case, but analysts said the investigation was in the hands of the judge.

It was not clear if Claude was formally dismissed before requesting the judge. The Associated Press received a letter dated Monday, and Henry told Claude that he had been fired for an undefined “serious administrative negligence” and that the decision was valid as soon as he received the document. Told.

Claude did not respond to a request for comment on his firing or when he received the letter.

Claude said the call in question was made on July 7 at 4:03 and 4:20 am, with evidence showing that the suspect Joseph Badio was near Moise’s house at the time. He added that. Buddy, who once worked for Haiti’s Ministry of Justice and the government’s anti-corruption unit, was dismissed in May for violating unspecified ethical rules.

Related: Core group announces support for specified PM in Haiti

In a two-page document, Claude said the call lasted a total of seven minutes and Henry was at Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince at the time. Prosecutors also said government officials tweeted last month that Henry had told him he never talked to Badio.

On Monday, Justice Minister Rockefeller Vincent ordered the Haitian National Police Chief to strengthen Claude’s security after Claude had been under “significant and disturbing” threats over the past five days.

Brian Concannon, an adviser to Haiti’s Institute for Justice and Democracy, said he did not expect significant changes despite the appointment of a new prosecutor.

“Most of this is theater,” he said.

Concannon said the assassination was in the hands of Judge Gary Olerien, who could decide whether to continue Henry’s investigation, even if the new prosecutor advised in another way. He said the judge had three months to decide whether to take action.

Robert Fatton, a Haiti political expert at the University of Virginia, said there was a clear power struggle within the government between Henry and those who supported Moise.

Related: Osaka says it will donate Cincinnati prize money to Haiti

“We are in a very confused situation, there is a power struggle now, and we will see who will win it,” he said. “It’s not clear where we’re heading and what the international community thinks about everything.”

Recently, civil protection agencies such as the Haiti ombudsman have announced that Henry is demanding his resignation and have called on the international community to stop supporting him.

Henry said in a meeting with politicians and civil society leaders on Saturday that he was committed to helping Haiti stabilize, but did not address the issue in public.

“Reassure that distractions, subpoenas and invitations, maneuvers, threats, rearguard combat, and aggression do not distract me from my mission,” Henry said. “The real criminals, intellectuals, co-authors, and sponsors of the assassination of President Jovenel Moise will be found, tried, and punished for their crimes.”

Moses appointed Henry as prime minister shortly before he was killed at home in an attack that also seriously injured his wife Martine Moses.

More than 40 suspects were arrested in the case, including 18 former Colombian soldiers. Authorities are still looking for additional suspects, such as Badio and former Senator Haiti.

If the court clerk did not change the specific name and statement of the report, the investigation is ongoing, even though he was hidden after being threatened with murder.

In addition, a Haitian judge assigned to oversee the investigation resigned last month for personal reasons. He left after one of his assistants died in an uncertain situation. A new judge has been assigned.

Haiti prosecutor seeks to charge PM in killing, is replaced – Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel Source link Haiti prosecutor seeks to charge PM in killing, is replaced – Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel

Related Articles

Back to top button