Local

Former city attorney pledges to sue NFL over Chargers move if Gloria doesn’t act by next week

A few days after writing the San Diego Union-Tribune opinion, former mayor Michael Aguirre, who urged city officials to sue the National Football League and Chargers over the relocation of the team to Los Angeles, said Mayor Todd Gloria would fight. .. The action fails.

Mr. Aguile, who was elected mayor from 2004 to 2008, advised the mayor in a letter on Friday that he would proceed with his proceedings next Friday if the city did not file its own legal complaint.

“A legal precedent has been set for the City of San Diego to recover taxpayer losses from the NFL and the Chargers. This was done under similar circumstances by the City of St. Louis and the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority. I wrote Aguirre.

“As Mayor of the City of San Diego, we confirm that we have decided not to take legal action to recover the damage suffered by the City as a result of the Chargers’ move to Los Angeles from the 2017 football season. I’m writing for, “he says. Added.

The Chargers played in San Diego for over 50 years before moving to Los Angeles in 2017. This transfer came after years of community debate over the new stadium and a series of suggestions to keep them here.

The mayor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Aguile’s letter. But last month, in an email to someone who asked Gloria about the possibility of suing the NFL, the mayor said it was too late to proceed with the proceedings.

“Unfortunately, the previous administration of the city of San Diego has twice waived the city’s right to request a relocation to the NFL and the Chargers after the 2008 NFL season,” Gloria replied to the man.

“The attached 2004 and 2006 lease amendments include this information,” the mayor added to the email. “Thank you for sending us an email and continuing to work on this important issue.”

Discussions resurfaced in December about possible proceedings against the NFL and the long-standing San Diego home team after the city of St. Louis won a $ 790 million settlement on claims filed following the move of Rams to Los Angeles. Did.

Aguile, who is in contact with a Missouri lawyer who advocated the legal debate, said the same litigation strategy could be adopted in San Diego.

“The NFL has approved the Chargers’relocation to Los Angeles, as well as the Rams’ relocation to Los Angeles,” a one-term city lawyer wrote in an opinion piece last week. “What the NFL did to St. Louis was even worse for San Diego.”

According to Aguile, the St. Louis proceedings focused on the league’s breach of its policy when it approved the transfer of both the Rams and the Chargers.

Under the relocation policy, the league supports a stable relationship between the team and the community in which they play, and the club is obliged to work diligently and honestly to maintain proper stadium facilities, Aguile said. rice field.

The city of San Diego has signed several contracts to upgrade what is called Qualcom Stadium, a public facility that has served as the Chargers’ home field since it was first built in the late 1960s, Aguile said. Said.

However, the Chargers were scheduled to leave San Diego as early as 2006, according to a former league employee quoted in an article by Union Tribune columnist Bryce Miller last month.

“I think Dean Spanos (Chargers owner) decided to move in 2006,” former NFL official Jim Steeg told Miller. “It took him just 10 years to do that.”

The same column said the city negotiated the right to sue a few years ago when San Diego and team officials each wanted to abolish the unpopular contract clause that the city would pay for unsold seats. I quoted a former senior city lawyer.

“The goal was for the Chargers to stay for a while and remove the ticket guarantee,” Regilard, a former assistant city lawyer, told Miller. “It’s no exaggeration to say that we can accomplish something (leaving the Chargers), but at least we had the opportunity.”

Mr. Agile said the Chargers are making a profit without the benefits of the new stadium. The value of the team soared from $ 40 million in Spanos paid in 1984 to over $ 1 billion before he moved the club to Los Angeles.

In 2018, Aguirre and legal partner Maria Severson sue Southern California Edison for $ 5 billion in a contract to charge payers for a failed San Onofre nuclear power plant, after 775 million for consumers. You have won a dollar reconciliation.



Former city attorney pledges to sue NFL over Chargers move if Gloria doesn’t act by next week Source link Former city attorney pledges to sue NFL over Chargers move if Gloria doesn’t act by next week

Related Articles

Back to top button