Matt Araiza, Daniel Bellinger and Cameron Thomas, however, have made the most noise among the eligible Aztecs in the lead to the three-day draft, which starts on Thursday.
The NFL provides online information for possible draws, including combination scores and various scouting reports. The views of the Aztecs who are waiting for news about their professional future in football, based on the order of their points as prospects:
- Thomas, defensive end and Carlsbad High alum, is considered a good backup with the ability to start. Some predictions place him as a second round option. His strengths, the scouts said, include flexibility and good hands, but they also noted the lack of NFL competition while at SDSU.
- Bellinger, a narrow end outside of Las Vegas, was also labeled with the good backup and original potential label. It was called the “3rd day prospect” whose “consequence as a foreclosure will determine whether it is a short-term backup or a long-term contributor”.
- Despite the advertising campaign around Αράιζα last season, he was honored as the nation top college player, Rancho Bernardo High alum was judged only to display “characteristics or talent to be a backup above average”. However, it was said that “if he learns to kick with more consistent control, the sky is the limit”. Sports Illustrated also nominated him as a Day-3 option.
- Guard Jacques Thomas, Cameron’s brother and another Carlsbad High product, which were rated as a potential “backup or specialist partner”. It was described as having “late phase capabilities”.
- Guard William Dunkle, from Eastlake High to Chula Vista, was also labeled “Average Backup or Partner”. The start is possible, but the scouts noted that “his grade and film are more in line with a backup role.”
- Running back Greg Bella Bonita Vista High alum, is not expected to be drafted, but could arrive as a free agent, although scouts warned that “without special teams or a third drop value, the deck could be stacked against it.”
The draft, which will take place in Las Vegas, starts at 5 pm on Thursday.
Former Aztecs Among Hopefuls Vying for Place in the Pros As NFL Draft Looms Source link Former Aztecs Among Hopefuls Vying for Place in the Pros As NFL Draft Looms