click here You can hear the latest news within 3 minutes. Top Stories Today is an audio news digest to help you understand the headlines of the day.
Boris Johnson announces New coronavirus restrictions To fight the epidemic of the Omicron variant yesterday, as he “unconditionally” apologized for leaking a video of his aides joking about the Christmas party during the blockade.
The UK’s new measures include guidance for working from home from Monday, Mask is required All indoor venues from tomorrow except pubs and restaurants. Covid-19 passports will be introduced for large indoor and outdoor gatherings.
The Prime Minister also announced that Chief Cabinet Secretary Simon Case would investigate media coverage. Celebration gathering It was held at number 10 on December 18, last year when such a party was banned.
However, many Conservatives opposed Plan B’s restrictions, and Johnson tried to avoid them. High risk plan To get out of the latest political holes.
The sight of Downing Street staff laughing at Covid’s rule violations reinforces the view that the only important issue for the government is “can we overcome it?” Robert Schlimsley writes..
FT view The “party gate” is that it makes it difficult for the government to enforce stricter restrictions.
What do you think of the video of the Downing Street aide joking about the party during the blockade? Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.. Thank you for reading FirstFT Europe / Africa. This is the rest of today’s news — Jennifer
5 more stories in the news
1. The strongest performance of Big Four Post since Enron Accounting firms have recorded the strongest collective results since the Enron scandal led to the collapse of Arthur Andersen in 2002. Earn $ 167.3 billion Annual sales increased as corporate customers rapidly transformed during the coronavirus pandemic.
2. Emerging markets hit by slowdown in foreign investment Foreign investment in stocks and bonds in emerging markets other than China Sudden stop Beyond concerns that many economies will not recover from next year’s pandemic and expectations of higher interest rates.
3. The UK housing boom has created a £ 3tn “unequal” storm The rise in house prices over the last 20 years is “Unearned, unequal, tax-exempt stormAccording to new research, this has benefited most to the elderly, the wealthy and the citizens of London.
4. Holmes concludes Theranos trial testimony Elizabeth Holmes, as one of the most people in Silicon Valley, talked about her decision at a failed blood test startup she founded during the seven-day question that ended yesterday. Closely monitored fraud trials I came to a conclusion.
5. Instagram chief demands rules to protect children on social media Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri is a social media company Parliamentary inquiry Describes the impact of the platform on young users.
One third BioNTech / Pfizer Covid-19 shot Provides protection Preliminary studies suggest that only two doses have been shown to reduce efficacy against Omicron variants. Pfizer will be vaccinated with a vaccine that specifically targets the strains available by March.
Credit suisse Chairman Antonio Orta Osorio Breaked Swiss quarantine rules Enter and leave the country within 3 days.
NS lb Dropped yesterday Its lowest level Against the dollar in over a year as new regulatory outlooks have clouded the economic outlook.
TuiEurope’s largest tour operator is concerned about Omicron and rising infection rates Began to affect bookings.. Slow rebound Airlines, hotels, cruise industry Scattered sparks Change of executives..
Thank you to all the readers who helped us vote. Sixty-three percent of respondents said they believe there is likely a new coronavirus restriction in the UK before the New Year. A few hours later, Johnson Presentation Drastic measures.
The day before
Joe Biden’s “Democracy Summit” Begins NS 2-day virtual meeting Organized by the White House will feature 111 government leaders, excluding China, Russia, and most dictatorships.
Senate vote to raise US debt cap NS First vote What is expected today is to allow Democrats to act unilaterally and raise federal borrowing limits.
Revenue result Lululemon Athletica reports third quarter resultBroadcom is expected to see higher fourth-quarter results.
Other things we read and hear
Nord Stream 2 is the center of US warning to Putin The gas pipeline to Germany was at the top of the list of potential sanctions in Washington, where Western nations could threaten Russia to show that the invasion of Ukraine would be costly. This is the reason..
Latest update: Joe Biden Important diplomatic concessions By signaling that he wants to convene a meeting between NATO allies and Russia to discuss Vladimir Putin’s dissatisfaction with the Transatlantic Security Agreement.
Use of “synthetic data” to reveal war crimes in Syria Researchers are becoming more and more “Synthetic dataInstead of real images, train artificial intelligence programs to recognize weapons used in conflict and captured on social media. But can this technique properly represent reality?
How is the economy really? It depends on your point of view, Gillian Tett writes.. Economists and policy makers now need to upgrade their systems for tracking the economy. This includes the fusion of quantitative and qualitative perspectives.
Oil and gas majors compete for talent All European oil majors have come up with strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050. However, achieving these goals requires unprecedented recruitment and retraining. Can they Persuade potential new employees How to board?
“We need to develop a credible and meaningful strategy and show how people can make a difference.” — Shell’s Chief Human Resources Officer and Chief Executive Officer, Ronan Cassidy.
Be personal on LinkedIn When Jonathan Frostic had a heart attack, he posted on LinkedIn about how he intends to change his life. He said it became viral and people around the world contacted him and his emotional words helped him reassess their work-life balance. Isabel Berwick, the host of the WorkingIt podcast, told him: What happened next..
Why is it so difficult to find a good puff coat? Functional, fashionable and toasty warm, but choose wisely if you want to keep your winter coat stylish. Kate Finnigan writes..
FirstFT: Boris Johnson moves to Plan B to control Omicron spread Source link FirstFT: Boris Johnson moves to Plan B to control Omicron spread