SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Sacramento police on Monday announced a shooting-related arrest that killed six people and injured a dozen more in the heart of California’s capital, as several gunmen fired more than 100 shots and people rushed to their lives.
Police said reserved for Dandrae Martin, 26, as a “related suspect” for assault charges and illegal firearms. Detectives and SWAT team members found a weapon during searches of three homes in the area.
“This individual has not been arrested for any homicide related to this incident,” Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said in a statement. “We will review the evidence provided to our office and determine which charges, if any, are appropriate.”
Martin was arrested without bail and was scheduled to appear in Sacramento High Court on Tuesday, according to prison records. His criminal record was not disclosed, but records showed he was also wanted for a misdemeanor warrant by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in Southern California.
It was not immediately clear if Martin had a lawyer who could speak on his behalf.
The news came when authorities in the California capital identified the six dead on Monday Sacramento mass shooting while police were searching for at least two gunmen who opened fire on a crowd as bar customers filled the streets as they closed on the outskirts of the city’s entertainment district.
The Sacramento County coroner identified the three women who were killed as Johntaya Alexander, 21, of Selma, California; Melinda Davis, 57, of Sacramento, California; and Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21, of Elk Grove. The three male victims were identified as Sergio Harris, 38, of North Highlands, California; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32, of Salinas; and Devazia Turner, 29, of Carmichael. One of the victims had been identified on Sunday. The Sacramento Bee reported that Davis was homeless and often slept at business gates along the street where the shooting occurred.
The sound of fast shots about two in the morning made people run in terror. Twelve people were injured in the Golden One Arena-hosted neighborhood and the NBA’s Sacramento Kings. The home team’s game against the Golden State Warriors continued as planned on Sunday night and began with a moment of silence for the victims.
What we know about suspects, victims:“Unprecedented” shooting in Sacramento leaves 6 dead and 12 injured
Police Chief Kathy Lester revealed few details of the investigation and begged the public to share videos and other evidence that could lead to the killers.
“The scale of violence that has just occurred in our city is unprecedented during my 27 years here,” Lester told reporters at a news conference at police headquarters. “We are shocked and saddened by this tragedy. But we are also determined as an agency to find those responsible and ensure justice for the victims and their families.”
4 victims were seriously injured; police seek advice from the public
Of the 12 injured, at least four were seriously injured, the Sacramento Fire Department said. Four of the injured were taken to UC Davis Medical Center, and spokeswoman Stephanie Winn said Monday that two were still hospitalized and two were discharged overnight. He did not provide information on the condition of patients who were still hospitalized.
The police created an online portal for the public to load evidence.
Small monuments with candles, balloons and flowers were placed near the crime scene on Monday morning. A balloon had a message that said in part, “You will be forever in our hearts and thoughts. Nothing will ever be the same.”
The streets were reopened to vehicular and pedestrian traffic and police tape was removed. In addition to a handful of TV cameras, there were few clues about the center block of the previous day’s bloodshed.
Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg and other city officials have denounced escalating violence in the city while urging people to continue flocking to the center for events such as the NBA Games and performances of the Broadway musical “Wicked.”
“We can never accept it as normal and we will never do it,” Steinberg said of the shooting. “But we also have to live our lives.”
The shooting erupted just after a fight broke out on a street lined with a luxury hotel, nightclubs and bars, and police said they were investigating whether the altercation was related to the shooting. Witness video posted on social media showed quick shots for at least 45 seconds as people screamed and ran to cover themselves.
The shooting startled the sleeping guests of the Citizen Hotel, which included a wedding and fans of rapper Tyler the Creator, who had performed hours earlier at a concert.
From her hotel fourth-floor window, Kelsey Schar, 18, said she saw a man running while firing a gun. She could see the gun flashes in the darkness as people ran to cover themselves.
Schar’s friend Madalyn Woodward said she saw a girl who appeared to have a gunshot wound to the ground. Security guards at a nearby nightclub rushed to help the girl with what appeared to be napkins to try to stop the bleeding.
Police found a stolen weapon and were investigating whether it was used in the shooting. Among the dead were three men and three women. Authorities continued to work to notify relatives and only publicly identified one late-Sunday victim, Sergio Harris, 38, without providing the cause of death. Of the 12 injured, at least four were seriously injured, according to Sacramento Fire Department.
Sunday’s violence was the third time in the United States this year that at least six people have been killed in a mass shooting, according to a database compiled by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. And it was the second massacre in Sacramento in the last five weeks.
President Joe Biden has called for action against gun crimes in a statement on Sunday.
“Today, the United States is once again mourning another community devastated by armed violence,” Biden said. “But you have to do more than cry; we must act. “
On February 28, a father killed his three daughters, a companion, and himself in a Sacramento church during a supervised weekly visit. David Mora, 39, was armed with an a semi-automatic rifle style homemade weaponalthough he was under a restraining order prohibiting him from possessing a firearm.
The crime scene on Sunday spread over two blocks, closing much of the city center. The bodies remained on the sidewalk all day as Lester said investigators worked to process a “really complex and complicated scene” to make sure investigators gathered all the evidence they could to “see the perpetrators of this crime brought to justice.” .
Councilwoman Katie Valenzuela, who represents the area, said she has received too many phone calls denouncing violence in her district during her 15-month term. She cried at a news conference as she told reporters that the last phone call woke her up at 2:30 a.m. Sunday.
“My heart is broken and I am outraged,” she said. “Our community deserves something better than this.”
Coroner IDs 6 victims amid hunt for shooters Source link Coroner IDs 6 victims amid hunt for shooters