Health

Blood stem cell transplant can give patients a second chance at life- Technology News, Firstpost

According to the GLOBOCAN 2020 report, more than 100,000 people are diagnosed with blood cancers such as lymphoma, leukemia and multiple myeloma in India each year. Blood cancer occurs when abnormal blood cells in the hematopoietic system grow out of control and healthy cells are crushed.

The three most common types of blood cancers that affect the Indian population are:

  • Lymphoma: A group of blood cancers that develop in the lymphatic system. The two main types are Hodgkin lymphoma (generally occurring in blood and bone marrow) and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (usually occurring in lymph nodes and lymphoid tissue).
  • Leukemia: A cancer of the blood that occurs when normal blood cells change and grow out of control.
  • Multiple myeloma begins in the bone marrow, where plasma cells begin to grow out of control.

Blood stem cell transplantation in the treatment of blood cancer

Misunderstandings and lack of awareness about blood cancer are the biggest challenges seen among Indians today.

In the past, the diagnosis of blood cancer was often life-threatening. Today, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation has the potential to be a life-saving treatment for blood cancers and other blood disorders. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation replaces a patient’s defective stem cells with healthy stem cells.

Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is usually a procedure that replaces unhealthy bone marrow cells with healthy bone marrow cells. The body’s immune system contains a protein known as the human leukocyte antigen (HLA), which distinguishes between cells that belong to the body and those that do not. Stem cell transplantation can only succeed if the donor’s HLA type closely matches the patient’s HLA type.

Unfortunately, many patients who could benefit from this life-saving procedure do not receive the treatment they desperately need. Only about 30% of patients can find a sibling match. , The remaining 70% depends on finding an unrelated matching donor, and it is possible to find an exact matching donor from the same ethnic group. However, because there are no potential donors in the Indian registry, Indian patients have a hard time finding a matching donor.

How Does Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Work?

Any healthy Indian citizen between the ages of 18 and 50 can register as a potential blood stem cell donor in a stem cell registry such as DKMS BMST Foundation India. Registration is a simple process and you can receive a DIY household swab kit by simply registering from the online portal of the Stem Cell Registry. Once you have the kit, you will need to take a sample of a cotton swab, fill out a consent form and return it to the registry. A specialized laboratory will then analyze the HLA (tissue type) and make the details available in a global search for blood stem cell donors. It can take weeks, months, or even years to find a match with a patient who has the potential to give the patient a second chance in life.

If they match, the registry will contact you. If you are medically authorized to donate and are willing to continue donating, you will be asked to donate blood stem cells through the Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Collection Process (PBSC). This process is similar to the donation of platelets. The donated blood stem cells are transported to the patient and transfused. These new blood stem cells then begin to grow in number, producing red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets, replacing the patient’s diseased cells.

Currently, more than 38 million unrelated donor candidates are listed in stem cell donor centers and registries worldwide, of which only 0.04% are Indian. This situation can only be changed by recruiting more potential stem cell donors from India.

The author is the CEO of the DKMS BMST Foundation in India.



Blood stem cell transplant can give patients a second chance at life- Technology News, Firstpost Source link Blood stem cell transplant can give patients a second chance at life- Technology News, Firstpost

Related Articles

Back to top button